View Single Post
Old December 21, 2009, 08:05 PM   #50
SigP6Carry

I can't agree more with the idea that empty chamber carrying is a bad idea. When I first go into real guns (not Airsoft and Paintball) I couldn't believe how hard it was to rack the slide on a gun. In the shops on my first go with my FOID, I wasn't even able to open the slide to check the chamber! I was used to Airsoft, paintball, revolvers, bolt rifles and shotguns (from boyscouts and sporting). I doubt that under stress I'd be able to load a round into the chamber. The gun that I keep in my home for SD is not loaded (for fear of an ND) but, when IL allowed CC, I will carry one in the pipe. I recently had an incident where I had to load the gun to check my apartment (GF walked in the front door, but didn't reply, I then thought that someone had just walked into the apartment, so I went to load the gun and check, she was upset about work and just walked in and layed down on the couch without replying.) on the first rack of the slide, since I was worried, it didn't return to battery, so I had to rerack the slide and leave a live round on the floor while I checked the apartment.

Not something that I want to do in a gunfight in the street. The rest of the story's pretty awkward/scary/stupid/funny. But, that's for another time.

Page generated in 0.02581 seconds with 8 queries