View Single Post
Old November 7, 2001, 10:34 AM   #2
wakal

I'm the sucker...err...Match Director for the local cowboy matchs. I've set up 12 round shotgun stages, but between four and six are typical.

SASS rules say that you have to follow NFA guidelines (I found this out when I was setting up a nice replica of Doc Holliday's "Street Howitzer")...which means following the silly minimum barrel and overall length rules.

I had picked up a coupe of LeMats when I first started playing this game, but discovered that I could load no more than five rounds...period. From Our Hero, Judge Roy Bean, one of SASS's stated goals is to completely avoid the "equipment race" involved in other shooting sports. It was set up for SAA, lever guns, and side by side shotguns (with the '97 tolorated). No double action revolvers (even though there were plenty of them prior to the 1899 "cut off" date), no semi-autos (I have a collection of Mauser Broomhandles, which came out in 1896...no no no bad evil , no non-exposed-hammer shotguns (sigh)...

Some good things about SASS: Spirit of the Game" rule. Wish it was legally enforcible, and even more, that it was enforcible in other shooting sports. IPSC could REALLY use something like that. Then again, IPSC is all about creative tactical problem solving, not playing dress-up and selling memberships.

The bad things: hidebound rules following, just to keep the "flavor" (and the politically correct nature of the money-making juggernaut that is SASS). Continued support of California by refusing to hold EOT anywhere but the SASS leadership's home stompin' grounds, even though such common long guns as the 13-round Winchester 1873 are technically illegal in CA as "assault weapons"...but gee, the CA DA has said they will decline to prosecute if you are going to End of Trail! Oh, that makes me feel safe. Then again, I guess if I lived (AND founded and ran the sport) in CA I'd hate to have to drive anywhere for my match, too.

Sorry, started rambling there...back on topic: 18" barrels minumum, four rounds won't be enough, but a damn good idea

Alex

Page generated in 0.03835 seconds with 8 queries