View Single Post
Old July 23, 2011, 09:34 AM   #8
mehavey

Question #1: Is this an old problem? (If the answer is yes, then we run down a different line of questions)

Question #2: Is the bolt hard to open/close without a case in the action ? (If yes, then we look at a new line of questions)

Question #3: is the bolt hard to open/close on new commercial ammunition? (If the answer is yes, we have a new line of questions)

Now if we are at this point... [w/ a No, No, No], ...now we have a case-condition problem.

Quote:
I have a similar problem with my Savage in 2506 caliber however with those I use a collet die that does not full length resize and they have been reloaded a few more times.
This is a clue to both problems. Neck-only sizing works for 4-6 reloads before brass flow finally adds up to cause case growth beyond chamber dimensions -- and a FL/bump-back is required to start the cycle over again.

This is also one of those times when I advocate trying the cam-over setting on the sizing die to absolutely Full Length resize down to SAAMI new-ammo specs. If the problem goes away, ...then you have isolated the problem. [at least it does if the Lee die is in spec]

For that reason, I also suggest you get a Precision Mic and/or the Hornady headspace gauge set; zero/baseline it on a new (unfired) case; and measure case growth/dimensions as you reload from now on.

Last edited by mehavey; July 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM.

Page generated in 0.02439 seconds with 8 queries