View Single Post
Old August 8, 2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Moloch

Quote:
What are you doing that you need more oomph than a .45-70?
Plain old fun?
I enjoy shooting big caliber blackpowder rifles more than small caliber rifles using targets loads, simple as that. I really like the nostalgic feel of heavy lead slinging powerful buffalo rifles and there is no reason not to go with a load that gives the projectile more velocity and a better trajectory at extended ranges.
I guess with 500 grainers and a black powder load of 65 grains you don't get more than 1000 fps out of it, thats one hell of a rainbow trajectory even out to only 100yds - with 1400 fp/s it would shoot much flatter, buck the wind better and it would be simply more fun to shoot.

I'm not recoil shy, I regularly shoot 12 gauge slugs from my rifled slug gun from the bench, and thats about 450 @ 1500 out of a 9lbs gun. 50 rounds a day no problem, recoil is not an issue for me. The recoil of my .58 rifled musket shooting 600 grainers with 65 grains of BP also doesn't bother me at all, its fun!
Quote:
That was ok before the BPCR revival and it was the only way you could try out Grandpa's Gun, but there is no rhyme or reason in it now with proper brass available.
.45-90 cases are harder to get than .45-70's, if I ever have trouble getting .45-90 cases I can shoot the .45-70 which is available everywhere, that sounds pretty useful to me.

Last edited by Moloch; August 8, 2012 at 06:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.02334 seconds with 8 queries