View Single Post
Old June 22, 2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Lost Sheep

Welcome

Quote:
super_grrrrl78
Hi, this is my first message on the boards. I am interested in getting a semi-automatic pistol for personal and home protection. My husband currently has a Springfield XD .40 cal which is a bit powerful for me.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for asking our opinions.

By all means, listen to your husband. Then gather information and form your own opinion.

I suggest you borrow or rent a Springfield XD 45 ACP and go to a range and shoot your husband's 40 and the 45, alternating. The 40's recoil is sharp. The 45, not so much. A side-by-side comparison is the best way to determine which you prefer. If you can, shoot both 185 grain bullets and 230 grain. I usually advocate choosing bullet weight/construction based on the target/threat, but for educational purposes, I think you will find the exercise enlightening. If you can get hold of an XD 9mm at the same time, so much the better.

You both having similar/identical guns will make training for operation simpler. Either one of you will be equally well trained with either gun. Tactically, it makes good sense to me.

Despite this being the Semiauto forum, I will suggest that a revolver is worthy of consideration, not because you are female, but just because revolvers are worthy. My housegun is a 6" .357 Magnum loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs backed up with a 5" .45 ACP loaded with Winchester Silvertips.

Despite this being the Semiauto forum, I will suggest that a shotgun is worthy of consideration for home protection. It is much easier to hit your target with a long gun with a stock than with a handgun. And a shotgun hits a LOT harder, too.

Lost Sheep

P.S. Colt1911forever neglected to define "BHP" The Browning High Power. Yes, the original Wondernine, "Load on Sunday and shoot all week". It has a 13 round magazine and is a GREAT gun deisgn. John Moses Browning is considered a god among gunners for his many, many innovations and inventions, from the 50 Caliber machine gun to the .25 Auto.

Page generated in 0.03743 seconds with 8 queries