View Single Post
Old September 3, 2012, 05:42 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Old thread warning, yes, I am aware.

The Peruvian Mauser had a clock position of 3 to fire, 12 for safety and and 9 to lock the bolt. As to why? I ask the same question years ago from the Mauser smiths and Collectors in the Dallas area, one smith said it is in the book, I ask “Which book?” he handed me “The book”. I ask “Where? ‘in the book”, again, he said it is in the book, he landed me the book, I took it home, read the book over and over, nothing. I returned the book, he wanted to know if I found the information I was looking for, and I said “Yes”, and he wanted to know “Where? in the book”.
The author had little to no knowledge of the safety, he simply said the right hand safety was not rare, so I ask the smith for a right hand Mauser safety, he said he had 600+ Mauser safeties, he claimed all were left hand safeties. I suggested the right hand safety was rare, not as rare as whale poo poo but rare non the less, my friend has never seen whale poo-poo and he had never seen a right hand safety, he did contact collectors, same results, they all drew blanks.
At the time I had three right hand safeties.
There was only one model of Mauser built with a right hand safety, a Peruvian Colonel? tried to reinvent the art of ‘aiming’ there was Rudyard Kipling, there was A. Cannon Doyle, Alvin York and George R. Farr. There were the Orange Free State of neighbors and Spain’s troops in Cuba, nothing suspect about the accuracy of their rifles and their ability to ‘AIM’.
http://www.nrablog.com/post/2011/09/...903-rifle.aspx
The Peruvian instructor at the range required shooters to climb/move forward on the receiver, doing so caused the nose of the shooter to be against the safety when the rifle was fire. The practice of placing the face against safety required a change in the design, the safety was moved to the right side to fire. Not easy to be accurate if a shooter knows the nose is going to get busted when the trigger is pulled.
There are shooters that claim classes taken in school taught the Peruvian technique.

When assembling a 98 Mauser bolt the safety is one of the first pieces installed into the bolt sleeve, if a Peruvian right hand safety is installed in to a 98 left hand safety it can be installed last.

Page generated in 0.02213 seconds with 8 queries