View Single Post
Old February 24, 2014, 01:29 PM   #15
GyMac

The .380 cartridge is just enough thinner (in diameter) than the 9X18 that extraction is unreliable. It is a blowback operation, so extraction happens with or without the extractor is most cases, however, if the extractor doesn't have a solid hold on the case when it hits the ejector, the empty case frequently just spins in place. I tried a new extractor thinking mine was perhaps worn, I tried a new ejector, I even bent the old one in a little more, in case it was missing the empty case altogether. I tried every recoil spring made for the gun, and loaded every imaginable power level of .380. Nothing made it 100% reliable. FTE were random, but happened with enough frequency to keep me from carrying the gun (I would say average was 1 out of 25). .380's were VERY accurate, but I ultimately re-barreled to 9X18.

J Nad: I will not dispute your experience, but my commercial Mak in .380 has been 100% reliable and is the most accurate Mak I own. I prefer the 9mm Makarov ctg to the .380 but can not bring myself to mess with such an accurate handgun.

Page generated in 0.03113 seconds with 8 queries