View Single Post
Old May 26, 2011, 06:43 AM   #16
steve1147

Whoops! Forgot about this post for a while.
Like I said, I followed the basics of that other article, but the 6 volt .5 amp dc power was too slow, so I scavenged an old computer power supply and use the 5 volt 1.5 amp dc supply. Instead of 24 hours to get a .005" plateing it becomes 6-8 hours.
I remove them 1/2 way through and rotate in the hangers so I don't have two bare spots (just for looks...).
Instead of "a few drops" of bleach, I found about 1/2 cup in the two gallons of sulfate solution seems to work better.
Instead of the acetone cleaning prior to plateing which didn't seem to work well for me, I found a quick dip (5-10 seconds only) in pure muriatic acid etches them well and allows a good all over plate.
After dipping in acid, they are not to be touched. Use clean tools only to handle them at this point, if you touch them w/fingers while wet w/acid, it eats your fingertips, if they're dry and you touch them, they won't plate in that area.
I use a double outlet aquarium pump into two 1/4" copper pipes w/tiny holes drilled in them to keep the solution rolling good.
Still, be prepared to throw a percentage of them in the re-melt pile, they won't all come out just as you like.
Last, I tumble them for 24 hours in walnut, they shine-up pretty well.
Attached is the drawing I gave to the machinist to make the first .352 swage die (he charged me $125.00...). I gave him standard bolt stock, then when it was done I heated it cherry red and quenched in oil. The second die I bought from Lee (a standard .358 lube and sizing die for $15) to swage them back down to firing size after plateing.
Good Luck, it's very time consuming and un-economical, but kinda cool.
Steve W.

Whoops again, couldn't link to a 'word' document, here's the text info for the machinist:
DIE #1

7/8” x 14tpi x 1-1/2” long
.352” +/-.0003 bore
Increase bore .100” x ½” taper one end only
Polish interior with 600+ grit or comparable to smooth finish

Page generated in 0.02794 seconds with 8 queries