View Single Post
Old June 7, 2001, 02:30 PM   #8
tawakoni

Ahhh, fond memories!

Calcitanium, back in the spring of 1990, I was probably about where you are right now. I was a rifle/revolver/shotgun shooter in that order and retired from bullseye/trap competition. Then I bought my first pistol, a full-size Colt 1911 in .45ACP. Looking back, I now realize this was a big life-changing event for me as I am completely dedicated to training and practice with the 1911s. Since I have always preferred my own reloads over anything else, I began to assemble the .45 ammo I needed for practice on one of my RCBS single-stage presses. I would go to the range every Saturday with 300 rounds of ammo. While the quality of ammo I made was excellent, 300 rounds was about the most I could produce each week and it took EVERY SPARE MOMENT OF FREE TIME I had.

So I started looking at machines that would speed things up. I looked at Lee, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS add-ons, and Dillon. I did a lot of research. I chose the Dillon SquareDeal B because I was only interested in one caliber but a lot of it. If I had made any other choice, I wouldn't be as happy as I am now.

The SDB arrived via UPS and I set it up one evening after work. I used 3 lag bolts to fasten it to a chunk of 2"x8"x3' and c-clamped it to the dining room table. Do I need to mention I lived alone at that time?
I started cranking out ammo. About an hour later I was out of brass but I had finished over 400 rounds of .45ACP, more than I could produce in a week with my single-stage. I will never forget that moment, a complete revelation.

The SDB is still bolted to the 2x8 and has produced several hundred-thousand rounds but it is now in my reloading room instead of the dining room. The only repairs I have made occurred last year, a broken spring and a shellplate bolt, free from Dillon in 2 days.

The SDB is still used often although I have added a couple of 550Bs. I guess I should have spent the extra bucks in the beginning and bought a 550B instead ot the SDB but I have NO regrets. Nada. Zero. Zilch. And I'm a happy guy.

I guess my TagLine should be: "I don't know if I reload because I like to shoot, or I shoot because I like to reload."

Regards,

tawakoni

Page generated in 0.03371 seconds with 8 queries