View Single Post
Old September 6, 2012, 10:24 PM   #25
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut17
...retention, position is for, almost no one on Youtube seems to get that there is such a thing,...
YouTube is not a particularly good source for firearms instruction or information. There are a few decent, even good, videos -- some of the videos with Todd Jarrett and those done by some of the Gunsite instructors come immediately to mind. But there is also an enormous amount of unmitigated garbage on YouTube.

Quote:
...Same grip, minus the cant and a few inches away from the chest. gun hand elbow at 90 degree angle, other one at it's own 90 degree, elbow and forearm tucked against your side, out of the line of fire. Sighting is replaced with better judgement, most often you see someone double tapping the torso, then shooting twice at the head, using the point of impact to help yourself know where to shoot.....
No, that is not how it's done. How do I know? We did shooting from retention drills in a class I took put on by Louis Awerbuck and then again in a class I took at Gunsite.

GN17, we understand that you're enthusiastic. And that's very good. But we also understand that you're short on actual training and experience. On the other hand, many folks here do have quite a bit of training and experience, and this is a fine opportunity to learn a few things. I urge you to take advantage of that opportunity.

Quote:
...why don't you try and get into and afford to pay for training in a technique that almost no one has been trained in, at 13 years of age, with an allowance of $2 every two weeks...
We do understand your situation. And we were all 13 once too. Someday, we hope, you'll get a chance to do this for real. In the meantime, understand and accept that there are things you don't know and haven't done, but that many of us know and have done. Take the opportunity to learn.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03289 seconds with 8 queries