View Single Post
Old April 8, 2007, 05:56 PM   #28
FirstFreedom

I have come to a decision re: a new rifle

After much thought, as much as I want a Remington, I decided that I will be getting this rifle:

http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=17

in 9.3x62mm. Reasons being:

-Handled a CZ550 yesterday and had forgotten how much I like them - how finely finished they are, etc.
-I want the controlled feed of the CZ550 over the push feed of the Rem 700 or the semi-auto 750, for potentiallly dangerous critters,
-Love that set trigger of the CZ 550, and finally,
-9.3x62mm splits the difference between .35 whelen and .375 HH mag, so it's fits both niches - can double as an african plains game rifle if I ever make it over there (not that a .35 whelen wouldn't; but a Euro caliber might be more readily accepted as a substitute for .375 HH over the .35 Whelen). Plus the caliber is just different, and I like being different (if it ain't .30-06, such that you can find ammo anywhere - i.e. .35 whelen - then may as well go REALLY different). And finally,
-the big kicker: I MUST have that beautiful turkish walnut mannlicher/bavaria style stock on a rifle soon, and this rifle kills 2 birds with one stone, so to speak. I'm jonesing real bad-like for a mannlicher style, and need the good stuff, baby!

My mind is made up, unless someone wants to talk me out of it. Still would probably just use .30-'06 for moose, though, so as not to scratch this baby up - ha. Take it as a backup rifle maybe - yeah, that's it. With those cool irons on the 550 FS, however, I may have to use a see-through mount, or go altogether scopeless the way god intended.

I want to thank you all for being massive enablers for the addiction. Maybe I'll come up there and hunt meese in thunder bay and take in a maple leafs game, jim - what happened today - Islanders win or Toronto in?

I still want to get a Remington to thank them for dumping Zumbo, but it'll probably be in .30-'06 or some other common caliber which I already have.

Last edited by FirstFreedom; April 8, 2007 at 10:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.03607 seconds with 8 queries