View Single Post
Old February 28, 2008, 03:49 PM   #6
bapfreak

I never even thought about the twist rate! How foolish of me.

Now that you mention that, I will probably go with a side lock percussion style rifle. I am going to go back to Sportsman's Warehouse this weekend to see if that rifle I liked was really a Traditions Deerhunter.

The reason I want to shoot mostly ball rounds is that the saboted, mini-ball, convex, whatever you want to call them bullets are so expensive that I don't think I can afford to shoot that many when I go out.

Now, more questions:

If I do get a more traditional style rifle, can I still shoot non-ball rounds if I go hunting ? What kind of powder is best for a traditional style rifle ( traditional powder, pyrodex, 777, etc ) ? Do the rifles with the really long barrels have an accuracy advantage or range advantage, or is it just looks ( like the Kentucky with a ~35 inch barrel, looks kinda neat ) ? What is a good barrel length ( ~26 inches I am guessing ? ) ? What do you know about twist rates ?

Sorry about bothering you guys with questions, its just that I am new to this whole genre of shooting and want to get all the facts.

Page generated in 0.03380 seconds with 8 queries