Thread: Affordable O/U
View Single Post
Old August 14, 2009, 02:08 PM   #29
oneounceload

Quote:
Quote:
There is a huge difference between a $600 and $1,000 shotgun...

There is an equally distinct difference between a $1,200 and $2,500 one

There is a subtle one between a $2,500 and $4,000 but

There is little difference between a $5,000 and an $8,000 one except cosmetics...I love my K80!
I'm rather new to sporting clays / skeet shooting. I generally know there's a quality difference between the guns in the ranges you've described. I did some resarch when I purchased my O/U, but basically relied on a good friend's advice in purchasing my O/U. However, I've never really had anyone lay out what the technical and mechanical differences are (not cosmetic) that distinguishes a $2,000 shotgun from say a $4,000 shotgun. Other than cosmetics and manufacture's reputation (and I know that cosmetics counts for a substantial amount), does anyone really know what seperates an under $2,000 O/U from a $4,000 O/U?
Between a 2 and 4 k gun - it will usually be better wood (straighter grain through the wrist). utilize a BOSS type action or similar; have more attention paid to barrels - both convergence and trueness; will have a tighter lockup requiring replacement at 200,000 instead of 100,000 rounds; have better choke tubes that are more true in the barrel.

IMO, where you really start to see the differences is when you jump from the 4K guns to the 8-10K guns. Those would be the Perazzis, Beretta DT-10's, Kreighoffs, and Kolar ranges.......These guns are made for one thing - crushing targets over and over and over and over - thousands of targets a week - with no hiccups or malfunctions. Go to the major matches and see what the serious folks use - both here and abroad - there is a reason Perazzi is in the winner's circle at the Olympics - and it isn't sponsorship. There's a reason Kreighoff is seen at American sporting events in record numbers - and it isn't sponsorship - these guns work - ALL the time, EVERY time - serious competitors can't afford a malfunction of a gun that costs them a bird. In a serious match 1 bird can mean being tied with 15 others for first, or losing....

Page generated in 0.03240 seconds with 8 queries