View Single Post
Old June 15, 2013, 09:40 PM   #14
n5lyc

One or two slipping by..

I started shooting bp revolvers in the late 70's, and introduced a friend of mine to it, he thought it was fun. He is a "name brand" kind of guy. After he bought a uberti (at my urging) since i knew he is all about fit and finish, after he decided he was hooked, he bought a Colt by name reissue black powder 1860 revolver.

We went out and shot it, and could not keep a hand sized pattern (to big to be called a group) at 15 yds.

After 3 cylinders, I took it apart to clean it, ran a patch through the barrel and it was smooth, no rifling, it missed that process.

I showed him the "problem" he was ecstatic.

We gave it a through cleaning, and to this day, it still sits on his mantle in a glass lid display case.

He bought another to shoot, and he has been offered quite a lot of money for the smooth bore 1860.
But he refuses to sell it.

(Since he has never married, has no kids, I told him he better leave it to me in his will since I am the reason he started down the black powder path.)

How it missed the QC, I don't know, but it does show, ANY manufacturer can miss something...

Page generated in 0.03169 seconds with 8 queries