Thread: New .44sp
View Single Post
Old February 28, 2013, 05:00 AM   #18
mj246

Quote:
200 GR at almost 1000 FPS will batter a Bulldog
--Ozzieman
I agree with this completely. Not only will hot-rodded ammo deteriorate your gun in short order, but it will also wreck your hand, wrist, and more importantly follow-up shots, unless you're quite proficient at firing stout ammo out of a very lightweight revolver. the stoutest stuff I ever plan on putting through my bulldog is the Underwood Bulldog 44 spl 200gr Gold dot load mentioned in my previous post. It is rated at 975 fps out of a S&W model 396 3.25" barrel. That likely equates to about 900 fps or so from the 2.5" Bulldog and a little more from the older 3" version. Even this I would use sparingly, but they have it listed specifically for the Charter Arms model and if used only a little to get a feel for it, I'm sure it wouldn't cause undo damage like some of the really hot 44spl loadings.

It WILL/DOES put a lot of recoil straight into your palm and wrist, but I was able to get three out of five shots touching in the 9 ring of a 5" target at about 3 yards in fast double-action, two-handed fire.

From what I've read/shot the best defense loads for this gun in no particular order are the Underwood Bulldog load (item #321 and currently out of stock), the 200gr Blazer Gold dot (a little hotter than the Speer branded load, but lighter than the Underwood), and the 200gr Winchester Silvertips. A good hunting/defense load would be the Buffalo bore 200gr wadcutter, but I would be very reluctant to put a significant number of rounds that hot through a Bulldog, no matter what BB says on the website.

Good target loads are any 200gr or under cowboy load or light handloads just for practice. As always, JMHO and YMMV

Page generated in 0.02410 seconds with 8 queries