View Single Post
Old June 10, 2008, 02:45 PM   #8
threegun

Of course any gun is better than no gun and hits with a 22lr are better than misses with a 50bmg. The problem is almost any larger caliber is better than the 22 and hits with bigger are usually better than hits with a 22.

Most folks are capable of concealing larger. Still many who feel a need to carry voluntarily carry the puniest. A cartridge that limps by vs one capable of stopping a serious attacker under the dynamics of a real life and death struggle. The example I posted was just to help expose the lack of stopping power with the bigger calibers in an effort to show how inadequate the micro calibers would be.

Quote:
Side note: Placement Placement Placement. One round accurately fired a second or two slower is MUCH more effective than 10 fired at MachII speed. You are responsible for every shot. If you don't know where they are going, who is to say civilians/innocents aren't in danger from your fire.
Hits to rounds fired ratios suggest that precision accuracy is virtually non existent in a shoot out. This means that good hits are hard to get. It makes more sense IMO to maximize each hit in terms of penetration and bone smashing ability given this phenomenon.

This is not a pure bigger is better thing because stats show that there is very little difference between the bigger handgun calibers. However all of the bigger calibers are capable of consistently penetrating a torso and smashing bones when encountered.

Quote:
It does say that the BG was hit multiple times, but it does not state that they were all well placed shots, or even that any of them were well places shots. This, in my mind, does not point to the ineffectiveness of larger calibers, but to the ineffectiveness of the officers' marksmanship. Granted, they were being shot at and that cannot be anything like aiming at a target at a range and firing well placed shots. I do not know if I could hit anything either if I am being shot at, but I sincerely hope I can.
His wounds could have come after the bullets had passed through the vehicles outer shell as the shoot out began with Bello in the cab. All reports say he exited the vehicle and wrestled for deputy Wilson's gun. Bello must have fired all of his 14 shots from the cab and thus taken the larger volume of officer fire from it as well.

Page generated in 0.02530 seconds with 8 queries