Thread: FBI Load
View Single Post
Old December 22, 2011, 08:39 PM   #28
Sarge

Quote:
I've wondered if there is a "magnum" version of this load for the 357 in 357 cases.
I've done that very thing with both the .357 and .44 mags, using Hornady's swaged LSWCHP bullet in both. You can easily get to 1150 fps in either caliber using weight-relative data for several powders and you can always call their excellent tech folks if you're working with a bullet not mentioned in their published manual.

Around 1150 fps the hollow point blows open, rolls back and good-sized shards of lead depart. This leaves the bullet shank, now a full-caliber lead stump, which penetrates on in a straight line and for a good long ways, retaining about 70% of its original weight. My limited and unscientific tests involved three gallon jugs of water, backed by an old heavy catalog backed up by a tree. I'd occasionally slip a weathered 1x6 between the jugs, for variety.

Hornady's LSWCHP is invariably harder than those used by the Big 3 ammo makers. I could never get them to expand at FBI load velocities. Goosed to 1150 fps however, these would make good hunting bullets for deer-sized game; I've also left my revolvers loaded with them for defense. (please spare us the legal lectures this time) The bullet shoots very well at at these speeds but keep in mind it was intended for about 200 fps less velocity and it may lead some pistol barrels. I had a great time experimenting with them and I only wish such a bullet was available for the .45 Colt.

Page generated in 0.03391 seconds with 8 queries