View Single Post
Old December 4, 2008, 09:06 AM   #16
Dwight55

I guess having a military background could make a difference to scenario interpretation.

I cannot tell you how many times we did something "for training" and it just did not matter what the instructor said, . . . or his rank for that matter, . . . there was always some "commando" who knew more or better or something.

I wasn't there for my favorite one, . . . but it illustrates the point, . . . instructor in SEAR class asked students what they would do if in combat they used their mounted bayonet, . . . and it would not come back out of the person they just stabbed.

All sorts of answers of course, . . . but not the "right" one. Finally the instructor said: "It's simple, . . . simply pull the trigger on your rifle, . . . the combination of the recoil and the impact will dislodge the bayonet."

The dissenting voice from the rear of the room: "If there's any (so and so) bullets left in my (so and so) gun, . . . there ain't gonna be any of that (so and so) hand to hand crap."

While the instructor may have been "technically" correct, . . . I like the mind set of the student.

That is what I personally take from scenarios, . . . they introduce a particular mind set, . . . for a given problem, . . . that can be useful later on, . . . and in some cases, . . . can be modified to fit another scenario. Course, . . . I also remember that scenario answers are only Plan A, . . . need to have a Plan B

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!

Page generated in 0.02468 seconds with 8 queries