View Single Post
Old October 31, 2011, 02:31 PM   #1
howwie

My best shot happened last week

I'm not a highly skilled marksman, I don't claim to be able to recreate this shot. But, it was fun, it felt great, and I'm sharing
I live in mid Georgia, I've hunted the same land my whole life. All the deer I've ever shot were within 175yds give or take.
I was walking to my stand at one end of a large field (one of the few on the property) and I saw a doe way down on the other end. My winchester .243 has yet to miss or have a deer take more than a step or 2. She's a tack driver. I'm not, but on this day I was. I guessed the distance at 250 yds plus, my gun zeros at 200. I hate when people wound and lose deer, so I wasn't gonna try a heart shot. I went prone and propped rifle on fallen tree, I watched her for about 2 minutes deciding on could I make a headshot or not. About that time I decided, if I make it she'll go down, a miss should be clear and not injure her. She was walking broadside into the woods so I yelled "hey!" and she froze and looked my way. I put the crosshairs between the ears and squeezed that trigger. She was belly up with a hole in the forehead when I got to her. It was a clean kill, like I said I probably couldnt do it again, I've never shot targets that far. But it was a cool experience. My dad came and we paced off the shot at approx 280 to 300 yards.
I know the Midwestern hunters are making shots like that at 4 years old but it was fun for a Georgia boy

Page generated in 0.04061 seconds with 8 queries