View Single Post
Old January 23, 2010, 06:54 PM   #10
firespectrum

Quote:
are not designed for their expansion capacity.
Amen. Most of the HP .223 you come across are "match" and not designed for expansion like HP pistol bullets - they are HP for accuracy purposes.

I think by going with a rifle for SD you're already way ahead of the game. I really doubt using an HP is going to really mitigate over-penetration if you're shooting a BG in a justifiable SD situation. And you said that's not really a concern for you anyway (me neither).

I also run an AR-15 for SD and I just use whatever ammo I have confidence my weapon will reliably cycle. I don't think after being shot several times at close range by my AR-15 that the bad guy will go, "AH-HA! You should have used hollow points! Now I'm gonna get you!! Mua-hahaha!!" He's going to be more concerned about staring down the barrel of a scary-looking tactical carbine while bleeding profusely from the chest and/or face.

Now I wouldn't carry a handgun with FMJ, but it's more of a consideration with pistols because by nature of the firing platform any pistol caliber is underpowered. With my rifle I'm not so concerned, but that's just me.

Page generated in 0.03315 seconds with 8 queries