Thread: eating rams
View Single Post
Old January 28, 2006, 02:49 AM   #3
Smokey Joe

Eating Corsican ram

Was on my first canned hunt myself last summer--it may well be my last; I really had no idea what I was getting into.

However, I killed (can't say hunted) a Corsican ram, and let me tell you it was DEEE-licious. If you like lamb. If you don't like that special "mutton" flavor then it will not be for you.

Liver is liver, but even this Corsican's liver had just a dash of the mutton flavor. That was all right, though; My wife & I happen to LOVE liver and bacon and onions. The secret is not to over-fry the liver. Fry it only until it isn't pink in the middle any more, not one second longer. (You keep making cuts in the piece of liver as you fry, to find that out.) We made absolute pigs of ourselves on it.

Since, we've had the rest of the ram stewed, roasted, and on the Weber, and it has all been tasty and good. I don't think there is any more of it in the freezer.

If yr taxidermist hunted wild rams in AK, they were almost certainly Dall sheep. They are beautiful, and take a mountain climber who can also shoot, to hunt successfully, I'm told. I would expect them to taste muttony, like any sheep, and to me that would be a plus, not a minus. (My own experience with Dall sheep is limited to shooting them with a camera, in Denali Nat. Pk. And even that required mountain climbing!)

--Smokey Joe

Page generated in 0.03837 seconds with 8 queries