View Single Post
Old May 10, 2013, 02:19 PM   #12
BigJimP

If you're not reloading.....then stay with a 12ga or a 20ga....whether you go with a semi-auto or not / ammo in a 28ga is too expensive if you shoot it much at all.

Like others said ....weight of the gun is a big factor in recoil reduction ( 1 lb of gun weight reduces recoil about 20% )...so often shooting a 12ga gun around 8.5 lbs vs a 20ga gun around 7.5 lbs ( and then shoot 7/8 oz loads at 1150 fps in the 12ga ) makes the 12ga way softer to shoot.

There is no question that a gas operated semi-auto will be the softest shooting gun out there vs a fixed breech gun ( like a Citori 725, or a pump gun). There are also some Inertia operated semi-autos out there.

I've worked with new shooters ...my grandkids, etc...and as all new shooters work into these clay target games. Part of the issue on what gun works for them - regardless of the gague - is how much upper body strength they have. Young shooters - develop differently ( one season they can't handle a shotgun over 6 lbs ...then they grow and move right into a gun at 7.5 lbs or 8.5 lbs.../ I judge gun weight on whether they can shoot at a pair of targets in the air at once....make a move on one target / come back after the other target without dropping the gun away from their shoulder or face - then they can handle that weight ).

Some options....

Browning Silver Micro semi-auto ( 20ga 6 lbs or so )
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=011&tid=375

Browning silver Hunter semi-auto .... 12 or 20ga ...6.5 lbs or so .../
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=011&tid=350

overall length, length of pull -- etc are different on the 2 models / and they're affordable entry level guns.
------------
Browning does make some shorter and lighter O/U's ....and some in 28ga and .410 as well...( I have Citori XS Skeet models -- all individual stand alone guns - in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ) - where the 28ga and .410 were made by Browning on the 20ga receiver with 30" barrels, etc ...( making my 20ga, 28ga and .410's basically identical )...

You can also buy the Browning BPS ( pump gun ) Hunter model in a 28ga ....as well as 12ga and 20ga and .410 ...but I think a fixed breech gun, like a pump gun, is a bad idea for a clays gun for a new shooter...unless its an adult male. Not that pump guns can't be shot very well...even at pairs of targets ...but it takes more training / and the recoil is higher on fixed breech guns ( pumps or O/U's ).

Page generated in 0.03465 seconds with 8 queries