View Single Post
Old February 5, 2005, 12:45 AM   #48
Nnobby45

Had a case rupture in a SIG 229 .40 and it blew the extractor out of the gun. No other damage. Sent gun back to factory where they replaced the extractor. I wanted them to check out the gun for damage. Was using new Win cases. Case ruptured where bulges sometimes occur near the small unsupported part of the case. Thought it might have fired out of battery, but the SIG folks convinced me that it would not be possible. I chalked it up to a defective case. Couldn't have been a double charge, I was using Win. Action Pistol, which fills up most of the case. Have had squib loads. I carry a wooden rod and a small hammer to the range to tap out the bullet. I try to be careful. Imagine a TRB drill that fires a new round with the bullet lodged in the barrel.

All my squib loads, (primer only) have always lodged the bullet in the throat preventing the chambering of a new round. If things don't sound right, and the gun won't cycle (or even if it does) then CHECK before shooting again. Save the TRB drill for controlled circumstances using dummy rounds. Load up several mags and put a dummy round in one so you don't know when it's coming. CAUTION: with hearing protection, you might not be able to hear the potentially dangerous Poof of the squib or the harmless click of the complete dud round.

Page generated in 0.03154 seconds with 8 queries