View Single Post
Old November 6, 2013, 10:08 PM   #52
semi_problomatic

I think y'all may have forgotten the question...

What's your guess for the future of the .308/7.62x51nato?
Just curious and I know any answers will be purely speculation but nonetheless, how much longer do you believe that the 7.62x51 Nato will be a standard issue service cartridge? Do you think it will last longer than the 5.56?
Its not standard issue. It lasted what, 14 years as standard issue? The 5.56 has gone over 45 years....

I don't think the OP intended it to be a civilian use related question. See that missing chunk of knowledge in his question?

As it is, the 7.62 was a military designed cartridge created to emulate the 30-06 in a smaller package. One could easily argue that had their not been a huge surplus of 30-06 from WW1, had the military used the data available instead of clinging to the 30-06 (which is actually a pretty funny story by itself, anyone know what the M1 garand was origionaly chambered in?), and had they not been so bent on aimed shots; they would've used the .280 british or something similiar and the 5.56 and 7.62 never would of been created.

The data available being:
http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/pigboard.html

First done in 1928

And:

whatever study that I can't find the link to of all the recorded skirmishes of WW1 and 2 that basically said aimed shots weren't used and getting shot was basically a random event so he who shoots the most bullets wins the fights.

Last edited by semi_problomatic; November 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Page generated in 0.02767 seconds with 8 queries