View Single Post
Old June 27, 2000, 10:36 PM   #22
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've always been a bit dubious about cows breaking a leg by stepping into a PD hole or breaking down one of the tunnels. None of my cows ever broke a leg from holes made by armadillos or skunks, etc., and those holes don't have the bare-dirt pile around them. Now, a guy on a running horse, maybe, but why is he running his horse through a PD town? They're readily visible.

However, just like jackrabbits, they compete with cattle for grass.

Back around 1950, Texas A&M released a report which claimed that seven jackrabbits eat as much grass as a cow. I found that a bit hard to believe at that time, but it provided a wonderful excuse to go bunny-hunting at night. Since that was the time of one of the worst drouths to ever hit Texas, little excuse was needed. Bunny-hunting didn't really help; lots of folks went broke, anyway, including my parents.

I hunted jackrabbits in northwest Nevada, some 20 years back, during a gigantic population explosion. My buddy and I shot over 100 without moving from one location, and none over 200 yards! We got bored and left. I think I'd have trouble staying with PDs all day long, "just shooting". Maybe that's why guys go for the ultra-long range shots: More challenge.

Regards, Art

Page generated in 0.03572 seconds with 8 queries