Thread: 9mm for deer
View Single Post
Old September 18, 2000, 05:04 PM   #29
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

KilgorII--

Well, I think the 9mm is not truly equivalent to the .357. But if it were, so what? MOST .357 loads are not truly adequate for humane deer hunting. Okay, using a 14" bbl Contender hand cannon with screamin', steamin' 180 to 200 gr. loads which just happen to be packaged in .357 Mag brass, might be okay. But this is NOT the same as popping a deer with a .357 sidearm and conventional loads.

It is true that the .357 USED to be thought a sporting proposition, for deer and well beyond. This misconception was set up back in the days of S&W doing their promotional stuff, using a 8-3/8" barrel revolver with the early loads turning out an honest 1512 fps--And, while performing for the cameras, the company shooters had a good guide with a heavy rifle backing him up.

As said earlier--If my family or I were hungry and there was game afoot, and I had ALMOST any firearm, we would dine on venison. But survival/subsistence protein gathering is NOT sport hunting.

This is like a lot of things in this world. Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. Please, friends, let's keep the SPORT in sport hunting.

Best regards,
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

Page generated in 0.02565 seconds with 8 queries