View Single Post
Old September 10, 2012, 11:06 PM   #2
doofus47

I'm not an expert about anything legal nor useful. My wife often reminds me of this. She's always correct.

That said, a rifle that is being "de-milled" (de-militarized) is made useless for its primary purpose, firing projectiles. The gov't has a method that a demilling contractor must follow to correctly de-militarize a weapon. Usually, this is a weld cut across the receiver so that it can't be used. Kind of like how book sellers rip the front cover off a paper back and send those back to the publisher to get credit for a book that didn't sell.
Unless the gov't contract calls for the demilling company to dispose of the other parts, then the demilling agent can often re-sell those as spare parts packages.

The government has rules about what constitutes a finished receiver and what doesn't. This matters immensely to producers of firearms.
An unfinished receiver (think of an unmachined block of steel to use an extreme example) has different rules of inter-state transport and sale than does the finished, serialed, receiver of a rifle. So, I assume (but am not an expert) that by not welding (and thereby finishing) the "flats," the producer can more easily produce and/or sell and/or ship items that are not yet firearms to FFLs or individuals who can finish building them.

Someone much smarter than I will chime in and correct me where I am wrong, I hope.

Cliff notes: not fishy, but not seen everywhere. Follow the normal rules of rifle transport (use an FFL is shipping across state lines) and you should be ok. If it's a Class3 parts kit with flat, then follow those rules. Golden rule: if you don't know what you have, just leave it alone.

Hope this helped a bit

Page generated in 0.03525 seconds with 8 queries