View Single Post
Old October 3, 2012, 06:00 PM   #27
Bob Wright

My revovlers have some sentimental value to me.

One Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Colt SAA once belonged to my late son-in-law, killed in a car wreck in 1979. A Smith & Wesson Model 36 once belonged to a friend of mine, who died a few years ago. Another Model 19 is one I got from another late friend. This gun is one I got at a Memphis BBQ establishment. I went to get my Wednesday BBQ and came home with a Model 19, much to my wife's amusement.

My Ruger .357 Magnum Blackhawk I bought while a young soldier at Camp Roberts, California.

Another Super Blackhawk is the one I made the longest field shot with, a 110 yard shot killing a groundhog in Ohio. ( I was in Ohio at the time.)

Most of my older guns have stories behind them, and looking at the gleaming blue/case hardened colors and exotic wood grips, reminds me of the story.

As to my carry gun, its an old three screw Ruger .357 Magnum that had been converted to the transfer bar installation. I bought it, and a second Ruger, from an ad in the paper, for $200 apiece. I fitted both guns with steel grip frames from a Ruger Old Army, removed the transfer bar installation, and sent the 4 5/8" gun to Dave Clements for conversion to .44 Special, and case hardening by Doug Turnbull. Walnut grips from Cary Chapman completed the work.

A couple of years ago I shot off my mouth about the unsuitability of single action revolvers as daily carry guns, and was taken to task for that. Admittedly I had not carried one for such purposes. So, I bought a holster from Bob Mernickle, and have been carrying my .44 ever since.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; October 3, 2012 at 06:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.03063 seconds with 8 queries