View Single Post
Old March 20, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1
balderclev

New to reloading

Just looking for any comments or suggestions here.

So, I'm about 2 weeks into my new hobby. i've done a lot of research.

Bought a hornady single press kit, 223 dies, tumbler, trimmer, manual primer, primer pocket reamer, separate decapper, varget powder, hornady 60 gr bullets, Win WSR primers, 1000 military brass.

Getting touching holes at 100 yds. with 23.8 gr. so am pleased with my first experiments in reloading.

I am weighing each load of powder at the moment. The Hornady powder meter is not accurate enough for the Varget powder and I am not comfortable yet with trusting it anyway. In fact, I am very conservative with all aspects. I first remove the primers and ream the pockets while discarding any where the flash hole is not perfect I remove the crimps and then tumble the brass with polisher about 6 hours. It is coming out pristine. I resize, trim, de-burr, and measure the brass.

My biggest problem is finding supplies. I was lucky to get the equipment and what supplies I have. I find that the military brass is great as long as you are willing to spend the time on it.

I'm in the process of ordering tools and supplies for reloading 308, 38 special, and 40 S&W. It seems that I can use the Win WSR primers for the pistols assuming my pistols can handle the thicker primer.

Depleted my 1lb of Varget and 100 Hornady bullets quickly. I should have 500 Hornady bullets arriving tomorrow free with my LNL purchase. I ordered BLC(2) powder as I couldn't find anything else online. Should work fine for the 308 as it was the original military powder for it. I have loads for the 223 and hope it will do as well as the Varget.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated as I am very new at this and learning.

Page generated in 0.03165 seconds with 8 queries