View Single Post
Old January 29, 2012, 03:23 PM   #14
i tutor dr phil

looks like one i had

HEY JAMES6102

i owned a .22cal single shot ranger. i think someone may have replaced the stock because mine had a barrel band and no stock forward of the band...but i could never tell if it wasn't the original stock. i never researched pictures or anything til lately and i dont have the rifle anymore. it was stored at my fathers farm and when he died my brothers took the guns as part of the estate and i don't know what happened to them.(never saw them listed in the final accounting of the property, they musta kept'em)

it could of belonged to a gun lover that cut and reshaped the stock forward of the barrel band position to look original.

anyway, my gun shot at least as good as you describe your gun shooting.

the reason, i think, is the chambering. my gun had no markings except "Ranger" that i remember. no caliber except maybe ".22cal" written on it. anyway i made this account to tell you , very late in the game (lol MR.RAW), that i think my gun was chambered in only ".22long"

the reason i think this is because when i used to always finger push the ".22 long rifle " bullet into the chamber it stops just short of properly seating against the chamber ever time. the last little push would feel like engaging the lead into the rifling.

AND HERE IS MY POINT... one of the major factors in the accuracy of a bullet is the distance it must travel before engaging the rifling.

of course the chamber pressures were higher because of this but it never affected my gun from what performance i saw its whole life with me.
(i would never recommend this with center fire bullets, they might explode the breech)

i was amazed at the accuracy of my dumb, love-able, little 22 with the front barrel band replaced with a ziptie and a flathead screw for a rear sight.

i kick myself for not fighting harder to stop them from taking my guns from me. i do understand why my brothers and sisters did it. it's because they "grew up" in the "lean years" of the family... the hard years...when the family had very little and struggled. i was the youngest and grew up in the "good years" when the family business did very well and they had all moved out. so i understand their jealously and resentment and their need to take things because they feel they missed-out and they can't accept that their life was not as good as someone else.

what a weird sensation it was to watch them descend on the estate.

Page generated in 0.03988 seconds with 8 queries