View Single Post
Old July 5, 2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Theohazard

.22 suppressors get very dirty very fast. It's a dirty cartridge to begin with and there's not enough pressure to blow most of the carbon fouling out of the end of the suppressor (like on a center fire rifle suppressor), so most of the carbon stays in the suppressor. But most of the fouling ends up being lead; .22 bullets are all either straight lead, lead coated with a lubricant, or copper washed lead. That lead fills up the suppressor fairly quickly so you want a one that can be disassembled easily even when it's caked with lead.

Heres my list of requirements for a .22 suppressor:

1) Very quiet.
2) Able to be dissasembled.
3) Easy to disassemble even when the internals are caked with lead.
4) Stainless baffles (more durable and gives you more cleaning options).

The only two suppressors I would consider are the Silencerco Sparrow and the SWR Spectre 2. Both are meant for .22 but are also rated for .22 mag, .17 HMR, and 5.7x28mm. The Sparrow is a little better as far as number 3 is concerned and the Spectre is a little better as far as number 1 is concerned (the Sparrow has a noticeable first round pop, meaning the first round fired is slightly louder. The first round pop of the Spectre isn't really noticable. After that, they're basically the same as far as sound).

I've fired both and I've taken both apart when very dirty. I like that the Spectre is quieter for the first shot, but the Sparrow doesn't need any kind of tool to take apart even when caked with lead, whereas after a few hundred rounds you're gonna need some kind of straight-edged tool (the one provided, or something like the back edge of a knife) to take off the front end cap of the Spectre to push out the baffles.

I'd be very surprised if you can find a threaded barrel for your Jimenez (it's not even worth having it threaded), but a P22 is already threaded; you'll just need to get an adaptor for it. Silencerco makes one for the P22 that says it's for the Sparrow, but it will work with any .22 suppressor with 1/2x28 threads (pretty much all of them).

Page generated in 0.02499 seconds with 8 queries