View Single Post
Old April 3, 2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Ringolevio

I'm no lawyer, but...

I'm no lawyer, but there's sure to be no shortage of other non-lawyers chiming in on this, so here goes. Besides, I'm an old hand at staying in motels, and always armed. I can't count how many times I've stayed in a presumably respectable motel and yet seen evidence that my room's door had once been kicked in.

I would think that whatever self-defense rights one has in his home in that jurisdiction would also apply in a temporary domicile such as a hotel or motel room, e.g. the Castle Doctrine.

But there are special responsibilities in a hotel or motel. You must be aware that other folks' temporary domiciles are just a thin wall (or floor or ceiling) away, and that impacts on your field of fire. And you may not enjoy the same expectation of security from intrusion. An error at the front desk may result in another innocent guest attempting to enter your room with a key, or a drunk guest may try to enter the wrong room (this has happened to me a few times; I've responded by calling out "Don't do it!" in my best "command voice", while aiming at the door; always use the safety chain or a chair or some device to secure the door). And of course the housekeepers will enter the room in your absence, so your gun cannot be left in a place where it might be discovered. I've sometimes used lockable luggage and then chained and locked the luggage to the sink pipes.

This sounds paranoic, but even make sure that there are no gaps in the drapes through which a person outside might peer through and catch a glimpse of your gun on the table, even via the mirror!

Page generated in 0.02434 seconds with 8 queries