View Single Post
Old March 29, 2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Beagle333

Fridays are for casting!

Today, I got out the MP 359640 and gave a look at the penta pins. And after looking closely at these things..... I was thinking ... "There's no way these are gonna let go of a bullet. It looks like he whittled 'em out with a skillsaw!"
So I decided to install 'em anyway and try it. I took the pliers out to the casting table too, because it's pretty obvious I'm going to have to wrench the bullets off the pins.

But after putting the pins in, and pre-heating it for 20 minutes on 80% on the hotplate, I lubed the tips of the pins up good with sprue lube on a Qtip, and the bullets just fell off, exactly like they do on the round pins. I was amazed and happy! The hollow point cavity has that same grainy pattern inside it as on the head of the pin, of course, but maybe he's onto something and this was designed? 'Not sure... but it works!
Now, it does need sprue lube reapplied to the pin tips about every 80 bullets, but it hits that sweet spot and they fall out as soon as the mold is cracked open. The pins just slid out on their own and plop-plop..... two shiny new bullets at a time! I made a whole pie pan full of these too. I was going to just try it out, but it was going so smoothly that I just kept at it til I drained the pot.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; March 30, 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Page generated in 0.03842 seconds with 8 queries