View Single Post
Old December 30, 2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Gbro

Quote:
For $100 you can go and see if you like shooting a deer. It is not a "hunt" as many people envision it, it would be shooting a deer.
Oh, but I wish there was a convenient Barf button on here for that statement!

I am a hunter and the kill has never been the fulfillment of the hunt. One can hunt for years and be totally fulfilled with the chase.
From my memory of "The Old Man and the Boy" there wasn't so much teaching the boy, but sticking the shot gun in his hands and a pocket full of loads @ 8 years old, but that was then and today we do not allow such methods.
As for beginning, your planning on taking a firearms Safety, Hunters Education course is the first and logical step but don't be over dependent on partnering up with someone as that could turn into a sour experience as it did once for me but could also be a truly wonderful friendship that could last a lifetime too.
Small game hunts can be a good place to start and are much less expensive to get set up in and practicing at a trap/skeet range will get you into contact with other hunters/prospective hunters as can attending a church. And some hunters never pursue big game

Last edited by Gbro; December 30, 2011 at 09:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.03483 seconds with 8 queries