View Single Post
Old May 6, 2009, 01:52 PM   #25
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blume357
lawyering that will cause it not to work...

I send you the money for the gun... the 'Pilot' flies to your state and picks up the gun with proper documentation (What my FFL will require) ... he or she is now the 'common carrier' and they take it back to my state where I or they deliver it to my FFL for the transfer to me....

I know this does not meet the needs or question of the original poster... but is there some kind of rule that says out of state purchases have to be shipped / transported via UPS/ Fed ex or USPS? Why can't a 'citizen' do the transport?
Definition of common carrier:
An individual or business that advertises to the public that it is available for hire to transport people or property in exchange for a fee.

A common carrier is legally bound to carry all passengers or freight as long as there is enough space, the fee is paid, and no reasonable grounds to refuse to do so exist. A common carrier that unjustifiably refuses to carry a particular person or cargo may be sued for damages.

The states regulate common carriers engaged in business within their borders. When interstate or foreign transportation is involved, the federal government, by virtue of the Commerce Clause of the Constitution, regulates the activities of such carriers. A common carrier may establish reasonable regulations for the efficient operation and maintenance of its business.
West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

The pilot is not a common carrier. I suppose it would be OK for him to act as a contract carrier, but I would want that contract to be in writing! And it would have to be a private sale, as you pointed out.

Page generated in 0.02714 seconds with 8 queries