View Single Post
Old February 3, 2006, 03:35 PM   #22
Hook686

Quote:
Yesterday, 08:07 PM #10
stephen426

Posts: 785 I guess I am not making my question clear enough.

At what point do you do more than wait for the person to attack you? If he follows you or blocks your path of retreat, do you strike pre-emtively or do you risk getting injured and count on your reflexes and reaction time to get you out of the situation?

Would I have been justified in macing him if he walked up to my face and continued to make verbal threats? I would not shoot him for that, but Mace usually has no long term effects on people other than to make them think twice before mouthing off again. I'm sure the use of less than lethal force have a wider latitude than use of a deadly weapon. I guess even if I was wrong, it would be assault with the mace rather than assault with a deadly weapon.

This has really made me reconsider adding less than lethal defenses to my line of defenses when I carry. At least I can say I did not escalate to deadly force immediately.

Allow me to modify your inquiry ... suppose you are disabled, having had previous extensive neurosurgery, such that a hard blow to the head would definately knock you out and, depending upon placement, might actually kill you. How close to you let the overly verbal threats get ? I cannot move quickly, am blind and partially paralyzed on the left side. How close do I let a person who is threatening me verbally get ? I've pondered this at length. What would be your answer ? I decided, if it reaches the point of drawing, it will include firing, and I do not think I have the luxury of waiting for that "risk getting injured and count on your reflexes and reaction time to get you out of the situation". So how close do you let the verbally aggressive, threatening person get ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Page generated in 0.03067 seconds with 8 queries