View Single Post
Old December 13, 2001, 06:32 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It adds maybe two minutes to a breakdown, that's both taking off and putting on. I break them all the way down at least once a year, CAREFUL cleaning from the muzzle and/or Boresnaking from the breech suffices after most usage.

Giz is right, at usual. Perhaps the Best Buy on the new market is a Turkey model 870 Express with the 21" bbl and a slug bbl. Outfitted for anything from mice to moose. If all my 870s disappeared in a clap of thunder, and I was limited to only new guns or couldn't find a coupla older WMs, this is the first thing I'd get.

The downside of a short bbl for sport is kinda limited. It's not as good for long range pass shooting, the balance means one has to work a bit more at keeping it moving, and the increase in blast and flash with heavy waterfowl loads might bother your blindmates. OTOH, it handles like a quail/grouse/woodcock hunter's dream, might enhance your rep as a wingshot on waterhole doves,
and carries a bit lighter.

As for "Serious" use, it'd take a more critical man than I to detect any real differences in handling between a 21" bbled turkey gun and an 18" bbled riot stopper.

HTH...

Page generated in 0.02953 seconds with 8 queries