View Single Post
Old March 4, 2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Fargazer

Well, I finally reached Philip Barnes at RIA, who answered almost all of my questions (he has to get back to me on the recoil spring strength).

It appears the magazines that work in the pistol have one common characteristic - the feed lips are wider in the front than the back. I do see a bit of copper on the inside of the slide stop, so my assumption is the mags that occasionally lock the slide allow the hardball rounds to nudge the slide stop. It didn't feel right to me to ask them to do anything about it, since the warranty clearly states it pertains only to the original magazines, so my plan is to order another slide stop (10-8 model) and, only if necessary, tweak that one. This is my first 1911, so I'm being extra cautious.

The pistol is a hoot to shoot, and I love the sight radius and forward weight the longslide gives me. Assuming no further issues, I'll put a surface treatment on it at the end of the year; that should be enough time for me to replace anything else I might want replaced. Which treatment I"m not sure of yet; I have positive experiences with Robar's NP3, and both IonBond and Melonite have good reputations.

Page generated in 0.03959 seconds with 8 queries