Thread: Dang scale
View Single Post
Old February 15, 2012, 10:12 PM   #9
amamnn

Keeping static electricity under control on your bench will help you to avoid a repeat of the problem. Also, a line filter can keep power spikes from doing the same thing. Power spikes can happen without you even knowing it--someone running a vacuum cleaner or even a fan at the other end of the house can do it if the circuits are right and the motor is noisy, electrically. You don't necessarily have to see sparks flying from your fingers when petting the dog to be having static problems in the house. The PACT reset procedure is something worth reading and writing down. It works on both their scales.

Static prevention mats on the bench are an affordable item these days--several online sources for them. A line filter that will work well can be made very cheaply or maybe even for free. If you have or can get, a strong magnet, just place it on the power cord about 4 to 6 inches from your scale. The magnet I use is VERY strong, but I don't wear a mechanical watch so that is not an issue. My magnet works quite well no matter how I orient it on the cord--poles parallel or perpendicular to the lay of the cord - makes no difference.

I was able to test the line filter idea because I use a new electronic dehumidifier in my loading room. When I wanted to use my scale I had to turn off the dehumidifier because it was so noisy I could not use the scale, the dispenser, or even hear the radio there was so much noise on the circuit. Magnets on all the powder cords for these devices fixed the problem.

6mmbr.com had an article in the tech section about this- and recommends a seller. I have not fooled around with weaker magnets than the ones I use, but I would guess that to be effective, they need to be a little stronger than the refrigerator door magnets you use to hang up the kids school artwork.

Page generated in 0.02258 seconds with 8 queries