View Single Post
Old May 5, 2005, 12:41 PM   #2
Ruger4570

You CAN use the ACP bullets in your 45 Colt. I have shot a few in mine. I have a 45ACP/45Colt convertable version. I do find that the heavierColt type bullets are considerably more accurate in my Ruger though. They are not always the same diameter either. The 45ACP is mostly .451 with some manufactures also using .452. Generally the 45 Colt runs .452 (these are jacketed dimensions).
As long as you are using a Ruger, which is incredably strong, you should be safe in using the 225gr loads in it, BUT, I would definatly reduce the charge a grain or so to be safe. I would think that 5 gr of bullet weight would not make that much difference in the Ruger< BIGGER BUT> reduce the charge and work up. Better safe than sorry.
The differences in bullet weights is that the ACP was designed to fire a standard 230 gr bullet for the military, also if the bullet was much heavier it would be longer and would not function in the magazine and the gun. The Colt pretty much started out with a 250 gr. bullet and has remained the "standard" weight. Of course there is now a lot of different weight bullets available. You might search the net and see if there are any other recommendations for the 225. Possibly from the manufacturer of the slug or maybe from the various powdr mfgs. websites.

Page generated in 0.02154 seconds with 8 queries