View Single Post
Old January 10, 2012, 09:25 PM   #28
MJN77

FWIW, I have been shooting C&B revolvers since 1996, and I have never used a wad, only occasionally use grease over the ball, and always pinch the caps. I have had exactly ONE chain fire. That's how I learned the importence of properly sized round balls. If you read the instructions that came with the original Colt C&B revolvers back in the 1850s and 60s, it says nothing about wads/grease at all. It pretty much says put the proper powder charge in, ram a ball on top of it, and cap. Look at a military issued revolver (paper/skin/foil) cartridge from the civil war. It was a conical ball, with the paper wrapped powder charge glued to the bottom. No lube, grease, or anything else. In my OPINION, the most important part of loading a C&B revolver, is to use the proper size round balls. Make sure that when you ram the ball into the chamber, that a good ring of lead is shaved off of the ball. This will insure a proper seal of the chamber mouth (unless the chambers are not properly formed). The MOST important things about shooting a BP revolver are, do what works for YOU and your comfort level, enjoy yourself, and be safe.

Page generated in 0.02359 seconds with 8 queries