View Single Post
Old December 15, 2006, 03:37 PM   #15
Para Bellum

Quote:
Those heavy bullets don't depend as much on velocity for penetration...Even with a short barrel, I'm sure those Magtechs will give you velocity, but they are going to be light on momentum as a result of their low weight.
That's what I assume also and why I'm sceptical of light bullets in short barrels and weak calibers.

Quote:
I know you like those light all-copper bullets. Are they very popular in Europe?
where I live, in Austria, only jacketed hollowpoints are illegal. So solid copper HPs are ok (DPX, Magtech etc). EFMJ and EMB are also illegal. I prefer the EMB because it's simply perfect. 500 m/sec, 650 joule, easy to shoot, AP on hard targets and vastly expanding in soft targets. But for that little gun (for a relative of mine, I carry a Glock 26 in 9x19mm if it ought to be small), I can't get EMBs or EFMJs because the don't make them for the .38...

Quote:
Also, and this is a little off-topic, but I've always felt that Europeans felt comfortable carrying smaller, lower powered handguns than Americans. Here, no modern police department would issue a 9mm Kurtz or 7.65 pistol for general use as a primary handgun (though my father carried a .22 Magnum derringer as a backup gun in his raincoat pocket). Do you see a difference?
Neither in Austria. When you US Guys used .38 lead bullets, we had the Walther PPK. But when both sides started thinking. We went for 9x19mm and you for .357 Mag, .45 and then 9x19mm, .40 and .357 Sig. I don't see a big difference. Maybe the fact that you prefer wider diameter and sacrifice hard target penetration for it, when you go for .40 and .45 instead of 9x19mm. But since I consider all these calibers as fine and strong (.40, .45, 9x19, .357 Mag/Sig, 7,62x25 Tokarev) I don't see such a big difference....

I guess I'll get some old books and try out what I can get and post the tests on the web.... we'll see in a few weeks.

Thanks, guys, PB

Page generated in 0.04068 seconds with 8 queries