View Single Post
Old October 5, 2011, 01:47 PM   #16
BlueTrain

Actually, someone suggested breaking up the United States something like 50 years ago, although I don't know why and I doubt they were serious. Perhaps we could dissolve the state governments. Might be an even better idea.

Of course, nothing came out of thin air or from the Lady of the Lake. There was a need, so something was done. More often than not, there may be a need but nothing was done. There has always been a time before we had something, either at the local, state or national level. Yet arguments rarely begin by tracing the evolution of the institution or practice in question from the beginning. Usually, the fiercest critics generally only want to undo the last thing, taking it back to when everything was perfect, which was never all that long ago and something just before the way it is now, if you follow me.

In the world of guns, we even tried getting along without an army for a while. After the revolution, the Continental Army was disbanded. The founding fathers distrusted standing armies so they had them sit down--I mean stand down. The militia was what we were supposed to rely on and rely on it they did. But I imagine it didn't work the way they wanted, so they begat an army.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.03361 seconds with 8 queries