View Single Post
Old January 31, 2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Jo6pak

I've mostly hunted snowshoes behind beagles, but have on occasion had success without the pooches.

6 shot is about the perfect shot size. Use full or modified choke. If hunting with a partner, blaze orange vests are greatly advised.
And wear sunglasses or polarized lenses, even if it doesn't seem too bright outside.

I've never understood the "look for the eyes" theory. It seems to me that those that give that advice have never actually hunted anything

Without dogs, the trick for me is to move slowly and constantly change direction, even just for a few steps at a time. The hares will often freeze when they see you and wait for you to pass by. When you change direction, or even the direction you are facing, they get nervous and may break.

Take a few steps, stop, look, and wait a few minutes. Then repeat. If you just bump them, they usually won't go far. For this reason, choose your shots, taking only high percentage shots. If you blast at them they will take off for good. If you move too fast and pressure them they will go to ground and hole up.

Hunting snowies behind beagles with my borther is one of the best hunting experiences I have ever had. Hunting them without pooches could be close to the most challenging and frustrating.....but on a cold winter morning, with a shotguns in one hand and a hare held aloft in the other, there are few things more satisfying.

As for recipes, one word. STEW.

Page generated in 0.03620 seconds with 8 queries