Thread: Just for fun...
View Single Post
Old February 1, 2013, 12:42 PM   #13
cdoc42

I have two personal situations I expeinced. One was with a Ruger .44 Mag Superblackhawk. I was shooting at Chili cans with a 180gr bullet and I saw the dirt splatter about 10 feet to the left of my aim. A big question mark appeared in my mind and I happened to look down at the revolver to see the barrel bellowd, then split like a piece of bamboo in the middle third of the 7-1/2 inch travel. From there to the muzzle all was well. Through communication with Ruger the possible explanation was that thin-jacketed bullets can leave a ring of copper in the barrel which present an obstruction.

A more serious situation almost occurred with my .454 Casull. When the caliber first appeared the cases used large pistol primers for ignition. They changed to small rifle primers and upon my request, sent me small rings to insert in the old cases to convert the LPP pocket to a SRP pocket. The primers didn't seat easily. Apparently two were damaged sufficiently to prevent proper ignition, and I found out when I fired a round and it made the sound described in other posts. Perplexed, my first thought was I must have missed putting powder in thsat round, which in my mind was virtually impossible because I always look into each case as I seat the bullet. Still pondering, I fired another round and had the same experience. THEN, I asked myself, "Where did the bullets go?" Well, they were BOTH stuck in the barrel! If the second shot had gone off it would have been like holding a grenade. I was able to knock them out with a wooden dowel and a well-lubed barrel.

If you shoot long enough something like this is bound to happen.

Page generated in 0.02626 seconds with 8 queries