View Single Post
Old December 18, 2011, 06:30 PM   #63
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I've only CC'ed in Texas (the DFW area) for short periods, but I had no issues. orionengr lives in the DFW area, and he has never been harassed by LEOs over theoretical printing. I'd be curious to hear what JohnKSA has to say.
The law is unambiguous. Unintentional printing is not an offense.

I have NO idea where so many people have gotten the idea that unintentional printing can get you in trouble in TX. Not only is the law clear, I can't recall every having heard of an instance of a TX CHL holder being cited or even hassled by LE for printing.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../htm/PE.46.htm
Texas Penal Code
Sec. 46.035.
UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
Quote:
It is not legal to OC in Texas, technically. Part of the deal to get CHL passed involved revoking OC.

Are there parts of Texas where you can OC without issue? Absolutely. Don't try it in a major metropolitan area though.
Whoever gave you that "information" is badly misinformed.

It is absolutely illegal (not just technically illegal) to OC anywhere in TX except in very limited instances**. That has been true for well over a century as nearly as I can tell.

The CHL bill had ZERO effect on the legality (illegality, if you prefer) of OC, its only effect was to legalize CC for license holders. Prior to the CHL bill, there was no legal distinction between OC and CC in the law. The crime was carrying a handgun (an illegal weapon per the TX Penal Code) and it was illegal regardless of how the handgun was carried (openly or concealed) except in very limited instances**.

There are no places where you can legally OC in TX except on private property with the permission of the owner or in other very limited instances, namely, being engaged in **"lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or <being> en route between the premises and the actor's residence or motor vehicle, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity". (From the TX Penal Code, Sec . 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.)

Page generated in 0.03743 seconds with 8 queries