View Single Post
Old March 1, 2009, 10:51 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What we need is leadership, and a million man march on Washington, D.C. to tell these useless SOBs that THEY do not run the country--WE do!
This isn't directed at you in particular sir, but at the constant flow of these comments I keep seeing.

I'm perfectly aware that our rights are in jeopardy. They have been for decades. We don't need to be reminded at every turn, in every thread mentioning political issues. You're preaching to the choir. The energy would be better spent staying in contact with elected officials, both on the Federal and local levels.

Quote:
Historically, the party that wins the Presidential election loses seats in the House of Representatives during the next midterm election. Since our founding, there have been only a few exceptions (1902, 1934, 1998, and 2002).
Really neat. I'd never noticed that pattern.

It falls in line with what I suspect, which is that the Republicans will make large gains in the legislative branch during next year's midterms. They showed a welcome amount of solidarity in opposing the stimulus bill, and they seemed poised to make fiscal responsibility the big issue this time around.

The Dems will have to devote a huge amount of political capital to defend a huge spending bill that will have produced no tangible results by then.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Barring a huge confluence of catastrophes, there won't be another AWB. It cost them dearly in 1994, and if there's one thing people in power fear, it's losing power. They'd need a really good reason and a good chance of winning if they were planning gun control legislation. They have neither.

Notice that Pelosi was very quick to disprove Holder's remarks. Notice the lip-service both Democratic candidates gave to the 2nd Amendment last cycle, no matter how insincere.

Are they doing this because they've seen the light? C'mon. The salivate over the idea of a total ban.

No, they're doing it because they know that a) gun control is no longer a fight they can win, even with a majority, and b) the fallout would be disastrous for them.

While I'd recommend keeping an eye out for sneaky regulatory stuff, another categorical ban will be almost impossible to pass.

Page generated in 0.03382 seconds with 8 queries