View Single Post
Old March 11, 2014, 06:49 PM   #26
SHR970

Quote:
ClydeFrog wrote:I can see the need to have protection with a firearm but I can also see the need of local LE/homeland security to maintain law & order(public safety).
I can understand why you take the position with regard to Local LE but "Homeland" absolutely not. Homeland is .fed and completely out of scope. Local presents its own unique set of problems in some areas. and I will provide a reason why I disagree with your position here.

I live in Los Angeles County. If you look on a map of the City of Los Angeles you will note that it has a very interesting shape going from Downtown to Los Angeles International Airport, Downtown to Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro), and Downtown to the "Valley". There are many "cities" that are actually part of the City of Los Angeles. Should the City of Los Angeles be allowed their own unique laws one could run afoul by simply crossing a one or two block wide path in one of many locations. In many cases, they actually need to look up the address to know who to send for a 911 call.

By population the City of Los Angeles ranks above Oklahoma which is the 28th most populous state. And that is in a county that ranks above Michigan the 9th most populous state. So how many people can we make instant criminals by one city having its own unique enforceable laws that are WAY better served being codified on a state level? Bad enough that emergency services need their version of Google maps to know for sure who's jurisdiction you are in, but people who are not resident in the immediate area won't know where the crazy borders are; let alone folks from out of the immediate area and then out of towners.

Now look at how many other places present these kinds of challenges. Got a Utah CCW valid in 28? states? It would seem like a slam dunk to be able to get anyone convicted of a violation that would prohibit you from getting another permit let alone own a gun ever again.

City Pre-emption with the force of state law???? I only see the force of state law making this feasible and enforceable at any real level. HELL NO! IANAL but this is extremely bad juju.

Page generated in 0.03432 seconds with 8 queries