View Single Post
Old December 9, 2007, 04:27 PM   #4
crowbeaner

Surely; the jump from the case to the forcing cone can be changed by using different cast bullets with wider front bands such as the Lyman 358429 and 358439. The Lyman 358156 and 357446 can be seated out and crimped in the lower crimp groove adding length to the loaded round. By using the 38 case and seating the 358156 and 357446 out you change the jump (shorter) making the load change it's accuracy because the bullet is closer to the forcing cone and lands. The late gunscribe Skeeter Skelton outlined these loads in SHOOTING TIMES magazine back in the 80's. You will have to cast these, or find some source to get them. By loading these bullets in 38 cases you have essentially a 38 "souper" or +P+ loading so you can save your 357 cases for full power loads. Yes, the 38s will leave a ring in the cylinder, but scrubbing with a bronze or nylon brush will remove them with no damage. I've shot thousands of such loads over the years, and had no problems. You just have to be careful not to shoot them in 38 small frame or lightweight guns. If you need more info feel free to PM me. Enjoy. CB.

Page generated in 0.03315 seconds with 8 queries