Thread: Proper die care
View Single Post
Old March 3, 2007, 10:08 AM   #6
wicker

T. O'Heir said

" "...nuttin but put em away..." Ditto. However, I do clean 'em every once in a while. I've always used the same products I use to clean my firearms. No fuss in 30 some years. How humid does it get in Iowa? "

Pretty darn humid! In the winter humidity gets so low you get snake skin but in the summer heat it goes into the 80 percentile area. So high it can make breathing tougher. High enough I think some special care is needed.

As I'm sure you all know, just keeping an item clean so dirt, etc, cannot hold moisture. Perhaps a good cleaning when done being used will do the job.

Mr. Irwin, I'm supprised at your comments on WD-40. I dissagree that the product leaves behind a mess that is difficult to remove. Brake clean removes it like warm butter. While it doesn't have great corrosion resistant proporties it does indeed drive out moisture fairly well and does, in my experience has modest corrosion resistance. My thoughts were, that modest corrosion resitance would be good enough, given that the dies are snug in a contiainer in my home rather than exposed to rain and such.

I'm a fabricator by trade and a shop rat by choice. This doesn't make me the end source on WD-40 but does give me grounds to develop an honest opinion that is in oposition to yours, I guess. Keeping the dies clean is good advice, imho, along with the deissicant packs, which I didn't think of. I'll check into the vapor phase inhibitor chips as well.

To be honest, I'm thinking the WD-40 would work well, but why go through the trouble of treating when done and then removing the product again before each use when a quick spray with a gun solovent/brake clean to remove dirt and a dissicant pack that just lies there, doing it's job with no effort, will suffice.

Page generated in 0.02118 seconds with 8 queries